Monday, January 2, 2017

2017 Texture Calendar - January

Welcome to the 2017 Texture Calendar project!


Today I thought I'd start out easy with a really fun - can't screw it up technique.  Why can't you screw it up?  Because there is no right or wrong that's why!  It's really easy all you need is some gesso, texture tools, a substrate and embellishments.


Now when I say texture tools I don't mean you have to run out and buy a bunch of expensive tools...look around, see what you've got laying around the house.  These are just a few of my favorites...old dried up paint brushes (the stiff bristles are perfect for this); an old toothbrush; a flower frog is GREAT for making interesting textures, I found a silicone basting brush at the Dollar store that makes some really cool textures.  

You can use die-cuts, deco scissors or cutting wheels to make interesting texture tools - get a piece of cardboard, cut one edge with your die/scissors/etc. to create a fun edge.  I actually cut a bunch of pieces of heavy cardboard the same size and punched a hole in one corner, added a book ring so I can use them for gesso, paint, my gelli plate, etc.

There are lots more fun "tools" laying around the house...forks, the tip of a pencil, scrubbies (like the net things from the kitchen), potato mashers, slotted spoons, stylus tools (for embossing), and so many more.  Just look around, you'll be surprised at what you find.


Start off by applying a thick layer of gesso, modeling or embossing paste to your substrate.


Now drag, pounce, swish, twist, squish your tools through the wet medium.  I started off with one of my handmade cardboard pieces.  It's a very tiny zig-zag design that I gave a short twist several times.  It made a really cool pattern along the edge.


The next "tool" I used was an old toothbrush that was actually really stiff (from using it on a glued project).  I pounced it over and over in the thick gesso.  The more I pounced, the more gesso the toothbrush picked up and moved along as I went. 


Finally I took a really stiff dried up bristle brush and twisted it in circles.  This ended up making a really pretty rose looking impression.  I repeated this over and over to fill up the remaining space on my calendar page.


I think it turned out really pretty.


And here's what my calendar page looked like with all of the different textures.  Of course you don't have to use 3 different tools, you could use one over the entire page for a more uniform look or you could go wild and use as many as you want.  Like I mentioned - there is no right or wrong with this page...just mess around until you're happy with the look.


Since this is for the January calendar page I wanted to go with a traditional color scheme so I choose black and gold to ring in the new year.  So I painted the textured page with black acrylic paint then sponged Golden Glitz Delicata Ink over the ridges, bumps and humps.  The ink really highlighted all of the luscious texture!  I added my calendar, a fun die-cut clock design and a few gold sequins for a bit of bling - it is the new year after all ;)

Now it's your turn!  
Pull out your favorite texture medium, 
some improvised texture tools and play!

3 comments:

  1. Now you tell me after I threw out the dried paint brushes. Thanks for the tutorial. Can't wait to try this with a few different things. http://craftingfrugalway.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year my sweet friend and fellow crafters! Thank you Roni so much for sharing a project with such a beautiful end results. This project is the perfect reminder of what you always tell us: have fun, look around and see what tools you have, improvise, and always find a way to make all projects uniquely our own...you see Roni, I have been paying attention all of these years to the very best creative mentor that I could ever ask to have in my life. You are a true God send!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happ New Year Roni. Love how this came out. Gorgeous texture. Hugz

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!