Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Coloring & Drawing with Grandma

A couple weeks ago my grandma (93) fell and broke her hip...she's been in the hospital then nursing home ever since.  She has had to give up lots of her favorite crafts over the years ~ painting, crochet, knitting due to poor eyesight and arthritis.  She mentioned that she was so bored at the nursing home because she really can't do much of anything. They have a tv but seriously, how much tv can one person watch...specially with the crappy programing on lately.

She has always been into art - she's the one that originally got me interested in it so I thought it would be fun to take her a few goodies that hopefully she would get some enjoyment out of.  The first is a notebook/journal that I made....


I used some of the Club Scrap Boardwalk kit because it was bright and cheery.  
I stamped her name on the front just in case it was shuffled around.


Inside is blank drawing papers....
I thought she could draw, write down notes or whatever inside.


This is the inside of the back cover - using up scraps.


I told her the other day that I was going to color with her when I came back - I explained about adult coloring books but I think she thought I was kidding.  So, I am also going to take her this coloring book I bought by ColorIt.com.   I originally saw it advertised on FB so I went ahead and bought one to try.  I got the wild animals edition which was $16.00.


I have to say I was very pleased with it.  The pages are 8.5x11 (plus the binding) and printed single sided on heavy cardstock.  The front and back covers are both heavy chipboard - almost book board weight and it is spiral bound.  This is very nice because once open the front and back covers make a great sturdy foundation to color on even if you're not at a table.


The above photos are a  just a couple examples of what the pages look like.  They are nice big images that have heavy black outlines great for young and old alike.  This is such a nice coloring book I think I may have to buy another for myself.


I am also taking a small cigar box that I made dividers in for colored pencils, drawing pencils and pencil sharpener and eraser.  At first I just tossed them in the box but I couldn't stand it so I made the little divider out of cardstock.

What do you think?  I'm going to take it to her today or Wednesday (whichever works out)....I sure hope she likes it and that it helps pass the time.  She's always been very active so this is hard on her.

13 comments:

  1. notebookis awesome, Roni, and I am sure your grandma willlove this and ill also have somuch fun using it.I hope she likes the coloring book too. Tell her i wish her well and be back on her feet soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful, thoughtful gift. I'm sure she'll love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fantastic gift for an arty person. Have fun colouring with your grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful idea for your grandma! I'm sure she'll enjoy it. Wishing her a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a lovely idea Roni, your grandma will love it, she will spend a lot of happy hours with it, well done, and please say Hi to Grandma for me!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a great gift for her. I hope she can enjoy it, alone and together with you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a perfect gift for a arty carfty person! I'm sure she will love it & will not feel bored anymore. Have fun coloring with her, The animal book is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Roni, what tender thoughtful gift! I am sure that she will love it. I smiled when you described not being able to stand it when everything was just thrown in the cigar box...and made dividers. My family always teases me because I would have done the same thing. haha. Sending prayers and positive thoughts for a speedy recovery for your Grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a beautiful gift for an artsy lady! I'm sure she loves it and enjoy playing with it.
    Helena

    ReplyDelete
  10. Roni this is excellent. Best of luck to your Grandma in her recovery. If she misses yarn work you could have her learn to arm knit. There are a couple very good You Tube videos out there. If Grandma is using a walker still a bag or basket on the front will let her carry her goodies with her!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Roni this is excellent. Best of luck to your Grandma in her recovery. If she misses yarn work you could have her learn to arm knit. There are a couple very good You Tube videos out there. If Grandma is using a walker still a bag or basket on the front will let her carry her goodies with her!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looking forward to hearing about how this worked with your Grandma. I'm sure that she appreciated the thought and the custom art journal. Wishing her a speedy recovery. I can imagine that she is about bored out of her mind, with nothing by TV. Perhaps some books on tape?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!