Tuesday, October 6, 2015

My Disaster Area

O.k...several people have asked me in the recent past about my craft area.  As some of you may remember I took over my oldest DS's room when he moved out 6 years ago.  I shared photos of the room make over (It started out John Deere Green & Yellow - I painted it Blue (floor) and Ultra White Walls).  You can see photos here - New Studio  It was soooooo neat and tidy - a place for everything and everything in it's place!  You can see more photos of it here... More Storage Answers.

Well, over the past 6 years I have made lots of stuff and acquired even more stuff.  LOTS more stuff and so my craft room has been over flowing for quite a while now.  It's like the old saying of trying to carry 10lbs of crap in a 5lb bag.  That's my area.  Anyway, I've been moving piles here and there trying to get it all to fit into one small room.

Anyway, it now looks like this.....







I didn't even take photos of what I had shoved under the desk or in my bedroom!

Yes, it is a fright but trust me, I wouldn't be sharing these with you unless there was light at the end of the tunnel!  My youngest DS moved out the first of July and all of his stuff is finally out of his   MY room!!!  Woo Hooo!!  Soooo, I started building new shelving units, sorting and rearranging.  I still have a ways to go but it's much closer to usable space again which I'm very thankful.  My 2nd room is going to be storage for things I use only occasionally.  I have 2 nice big wire racks just waiting to be filled.  It will be so good to give everything a place again and to not have it piled up here and there.

Anyway, that's what I've been doing the last couple days.  I'll be sure to share photos when I'm finished - which can't be soon enough for me!

11 comments:

  1. Doesn't look too bad. Glad you are going to have an extra room. Yes, we won't talk about stuff under the desk. LOL! I just hope the cleaning police doesn't write me up for what is under mine. Isn't amazing how things seem to accumulate while we are sleeping. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see the next bunch of photos. That's a lot of stuff crammed in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your so going to find some treasures in there that you've missed out on :) You have a big space to spread out and it's your space so have fun with it
    love to see it when your all done getting it fixed up

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, you are lucky that you get a second room!!! my crafting corner looks pretty similar to yours just now, and no matter how hard I try to keep it in order, there's just no chance... Anyway, have fun working on that second craft room and enjoy the creative flow :)
    Hugs from Germany,
    Mickymunchkin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this. I did wonder how it looked I have to say. I have just been trying to tidy my own set up, it's in a large room in and of itself BUT it's a room that other two family members use so I feel I have to keep it very tidy..hence I can NEVER find anything. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! and that's all I'm saying!!! heehee
    Please don't get lost in there- looking forward to after photos! ")

    ReplyDelete
  7. Roni, thank you so much for sharing! Just when I think I have my room all together, wonderful, must-have products come out or, I come up with an idea to rearrarange the room to make it worker friendly. The process mystifies my family even though they are in awe of what I can create and how happy I am when I can spen hours in my room, but when the room and it's new treasures of "must haves" get away from me that's when I have heard the word hoarder used a bit. I tried to share photos to let them know that unless I lived in one of homes where one of the fortunate few are able to bring in professional organizers or closet organizers where there are lovely chandeliers hanging in the room and there are work stations that would accommodate at least five additional artists; that my craft represents the norm for most crafters.
    Like so many of you and Roni, I inherited my youngest daughter's room to use as my craft space and in her closet everyone claimed the space for the things that the did not want to get rid of so I have less than 8x7 space to call my own which includes my daughters desk that she has asked me to hold onto until her next apartment is a bit larger. In my son's room I have my sewing machine and serger and yarn so the family believes that I have two complete rooms for crafting. I would so appreciate if anyone has any ideas to help my family understand, who by the way are all extremely creative, but I am the one with the multiple pieces as a multi medium artist, that I am not a hoarder and the joy that my supplies bring to me and that they are actual supplies that I have used since the age of four when my official training begin in my creative family especially with my Mom, Grandfather, and my Grandfather. Roni when I look at your materials, all I can see is the countless hours that you placed in organization ...can't wait to see under the desk. Please my fellow artist, please share new organization ideas, and comebacks for my well meaning family would be greatly appreciated! Thank you friends Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. We all do it Roni so know you are not alone, lol! I am trying to shrink my stash of consumables again. When I started to go through it before Christmas there was so much that had to be thrown away because it no longer worked and that made me cry! So I am back to shrinking the consumables that I have owned for a long time because I'm pretty sure I won't purchase them again. That's brilliant because it frees up a little space however I am still obsessed with stamps and now stencils and acrylic paint lol! So what I free for a little time from old stash will be taken up with more stamps and/or tools lol! Looking forward to seeing your finished photo's, and the new art you will produce Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that's a lot of stuff. I once had a room that looked like that but then I moved and had to downsize my products. Now things are neat and manageable, although I miss having many of my products.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Roni, if you lived closer I could have so much fun organizing this space, it's almost more fun than creating for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can totally relate! In fact, I think some of your photos may actually of my art room! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!