Tuesday, January 21, 2014

2014 Technique Calendar - September - Faux Suede

2014 Technique Calendar
September
Faux Suede

Today's technique is a bit of a revision of an older technique I discovered several years ago.  I have updated it by using Distress Paints but you could of course still use regular acrylic paints.  Also instead of a damp tissue I used a baby wipe.  The cleaning solution in a baby wipe seems to blend the paints more readily.

Supplies:

Black Cardstock (or Tag)
Clear Embossing Ink
Clear Embossing Powder
Rubber Stamp(s)
Acrylic or Distress Paint - Dark Orange & Brown
Baby Wipe or Damp Tissue
Embellishments to finish off your Calendar Page

Instructions:

1. Ink up your image with clear embossing ink and stamp on your black tag/cardstock.



2. Sprinkle with clear embossing powder, shake off excess and heat to melt the powder.


3. When the powder has cooled, dab on one or more shades of brown and dark orange paint.  I am using Distress Paint but you could use regular acrylic paints.


4. Now use a baby wipe and dab the paint to blend it...


Continue blending until you get a nice suede look to the entire piece.  Don't worry about covering up your embossed design...we'll take care of that in the next step.  

Once the paints have been blended to your satisfaction, let the paper dry naturally.



5. Use the damp baby wipe to gently wipe the dry paint off of the embossed areas.  The deep black of the cardstock will come shining through and make the image pop on the "suede" background.


6. Finish off the calendar page as desired!




And that is 9 down...
3 more months to go!


4 comments:

  1. Like this one- alot! Great technique- and like the image too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Roni, this technique had me sitting on the edge of my seat. I felt like I was watching a magician perform. So I guess when it comes to amaging techniques, I need to start calling you Roni the Magnificiant or some title that would be fitting for your wizardry skills!
    I have to try this technique immeadiatly, or perhaps I will wait until the morning!
    Thanks for adding so many new skills to our crafting tool box!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome technique and lovely project too ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving this kewl technique. I have never tried to create a suede look before.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!