Tuesday, January 14, 2014

2014 Technique Calendar - May - White on Kraft

2014 Technique Calendar
May
White on Kraft

Have you ever stamped on kraft paper?  I absolutely LOVE it!  It's one of my favorite papers to use white on.  The kraft color makes the white simply pop right off the page.  When you add some colored markers, ink, colored pencils or chalks to the mix it's even more exciting!

Supplies:

Kraft Paper (or Tag)
Embossing Ink or White Pigment Ink
White Embossing Powder
Stamps
Markers, Ink Colored Pencils or whatever you have in your stash!
Embellishments to finish off the tag.

Instructions:

1. Stamp the desired image onto your kraft tag with embossing ink or white pigment ink.


 2. Sprinkle with white embossing powder, shake off excess and heat to melt the powders.  I am using Antique White Embossing Powder because it's what I had on my desk...true white would be even brighter.


3.  After the embossing powder is cool it's time to add some color!  To begin with I colored the foliage with a couple different colors of green Spectrum Noir markers.  


4.  Next I colored the flower centers with a yellow marker I had in my stash....it's funny...this cheap marker was brighter than any of my yellow Distress or Spectrum Noir markers.


5. I didn't want to color the flower petals because I wanted the white to frame and show off the kraft paper but I did want to add a bit of color to the background sky.  I diluted some Faded Jean Distress Stain with some water and "painted" it on using my Niji Waterbrush ~ adding color between the flowers & foliage as well as above the flowers.


After it was dry I finished it off with my calendar of course and this darling little girl who is watering the flowers...


Now as I mentioned above you can use any medium to color the embossed design...just use what you have in your stash and you'll be surprise how much life pairing them with the "white on kraft" gives your goodies.

Here's to an inky day!


3 comments:

  1. I love this technique! It has such marvelous dimension and visual impact. I can't wait to give this one a try. You are the best mentor that anyone could ever ask for in their life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness this is fabulous! I love the techniques and the fantastic tag you created.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roni this is very pretty!! I absolutely love the way you used Stickles for the water!! Another "genius" way to add sparkle, color & dimension!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!