Thursday, November 7, 2013

Ephemera & Mixed Media Quandary

If you've visited here very often you know how much I love vintage ephemera.  Old labels, dictionary pages, sheet music, map paper, and so much more all find their way into my art in one form or another.  Sometimes it irritates my guys (both the one I married and the two I gave birth to) that I use these vintage items in my art.  My reply is that I appreciate and preserve it in my own way.
 
That being said I am having such a difficult time with some mixed media artists incorporate vintage ephemera in their art.  Before I go any further, I'm not criticizing anyone or anyone's art...  I know it's all a personal thing but I just wanted to share my own personal thoughts on ephemera in mixed media art.
 
What got me to thinking about it was a blog post on a company web site.  The blog post was demonstrating the steps of creating a mixed media canvas...   The first photo is how the canvas started out....  I have to say I was tickled to see all of the beautiful labels ~ I have a few of those myself so it was nice to see someone else appreciated them.


And after many varied steps this is how the canvas turned out.... 
I know art is subjective but I was surprised to say the least...you can't even tell the labels are under all the various mediums.
 
In my mind, what is the purpose of using those darling vintage labels if they are going to be obliterated.  If the hint of text (which I can't see) is the point, copy the labels and use the copies... If texture is the point, then use either textured papers or layers of lesser bits of contemporary ephemera, pattern paper, magazine ads, junk mail, etc. 

 
The ephemera lover in my just shutters when I stop and think of all of the beautiful bits of vintage goodness that are getting covered up and forgotten under all the layers of paint, ink, gesso, collage mediums and more. 
 
Again, not criticizing anyone or anyone's art...
Just something that has been bugging me that I needed to share.
 
What do you think?
Do you use vintage ephemera in your art?
If so, what are your thoughts of completely covering it?
 
I'm anxious to hear what you think!
 

15 comments:

  1. I'm like you. Which is why it takes me so long to decide how to use some of it. It has to be in something where it will be seen in some fashion, and therefore, appreciated. I know that a lot of artists will do as you mentioned, covering it all up and say it has contributed to that piece of art, but what's the point if you can't tell it's there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roni, I have the same problem. I find it difficult to even *use* my ephemera, and if it is irreplaceable, I use a copy and save the original. While I love to see layers and textures, I've never understood covering something up to the point where you no longer see it. If you're going to do that, just use plain paper! I have no problem covering up pages from books (although it took me a while to make myself cut out the pages - I mean, it's a book and I love books!,) but I love to see those words showing through whatever I put over the pages. I understand that sometimes we start out with a plan that changes as we work, but I'd have to think long and hard about covering up one-of-a-kind materials. I think I'd just have to set that piece aside for a different project and start over. I'm also not criticizing anyone or their art, I guess I'd just like to understand!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree w/ you Roni. Why use it if you are going to obscure it? Seems like not only a waste, but a loss, like losing a piece history for no good reason.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree completely! Such a waste. Layers are great but use something plain if it's going to be covered up. I think it's all marketing to get us to spend money on a horde of different mediums.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The example you show is extreme. I don't understand it either. To me mixed media layering means revealing layers. That said, I do use ephemera, but I don't always reveal it entirely. Sometimes you want the feel of something remembered, or a long-ago experience, in which case you do disguise or cover the layers somewhat. The trick is the viewer has to know they're there while they may not be clearly defined. The piece you illustrate makes no sense to me, but neither does always making ephemera a clearly defined focal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use ephemera too...lots of it.

      I love how you explained about revealing layers. That's what I think of MM as well.

      Delete
  6. I love roaming the shops and seeing memories in the items and papers displayed. I wonder if there will be those things for our children to see what might have been something great grandma had. I have the hardest time with old letters and photographs. I'm also a genealogist and historian. How many people are looking for photos of the people who made them who they are and somebody has used that photo to make a witch or something. I know many photos aren't identified but many I've seen are. Like you say, to each his own, but please use copies and help the originals find their families or homes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely agree. As a decorative artist who does detailed paintings from photos, etc, I just can't stand the fact that the first thing some artists do is slap on the gesso and obliterate what is under neath...layers need to be seen in some capacity or they are useless to the composition. so glad to see so many like minded spirits here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cannot take apart an old book unless it literally falls to pieces in my hands. And if I do use the pages, it has to be in such a way that you can SEE the content on the page. I can barely bring myself to use the ephemera when it is totally uncovered. I could NEVER totally obliterate it as shown above. Those wonderful vintage labels are destroyed forever! The artist could have used plain white paper or old newspaper because none of it was left to be seen. I often feel sick to see how antiques are abused in the name of art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...Yes, I used to be like that too. I actually have books that I bought with the intent of tearing them apart only to fall in love with their charm. I bought a dictionary once that was tattered and worn for a dollar but once I got to looking at it I couldn't bring myself to tear it up. I've gathered quite a collection of vintage tatty books as a result.

      Delete
  9. I agree. I am a Mixed Media Artist but I like to preserve the beauty of of the vintage items I use.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i am sorry but i cant see any point in covering it up it should be incorporated in your art to enhance it or to provoke memories or feelings for your self or others when they see it or just catch a glimpse of what is there or just for the stand alone beauty of them ,completely covering them is a waste and i feel a sham as you can get the feel and look using other paper

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great info. I'd love to read your book. And now thtat broke my arm, I'll have time to read! A lot of time!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Why use it if you can't see it There are other ways to add layers if you are going to cover it with gesso and you can let the beauty of the ephemera shine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with the previos writer:Why use it if you can't see it There are other ways to add layers if you are going to cover it with gesso and you can let the beauty of the ephemera shine.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!