Wednesday, October 24, 2012

"25" Altered Ruler Chirstmas Charm

I know I said I'd wait but I just love this charm and thought some of you might like to get started making some charms as Christmas gifts.

This one is made using one of my favorite "found" goodies.... Foldable rulers!!!!!  I don't know why but I have a real thing for rulers - 12", 36, foldable, fabric, etc.  It doesn't matter to me, I love em all!!



Here's what I did....

I cut the # 25 from several of my foldable rulers. 1/2" above and below the actual number.   These are old rulers I've found at flea markets, garage sales, auctions, etc.  Most are a bit grungy and worn but that's what I love about them. 

I then drilled a hole at the top and bottom of the chunk of wood. 

I sanded all sides to remove any splinters then inked the edges with Sepia Archival Ink.  I find that when making charms Archival Ink works better than a dye ink as it's got more staying power.

Next on the back of the ruler I glued on a theme appropriate mini collage image...in this case - Santa :)  I then covered him with a layer of Crystal Lacquer.

After the CL had dried, I affixed my focal bead at the top and a nice tear drop bead at the bottom.  Of course you could change up the beads for anything you have on hand.  You could even add a nice Christmas themed charm at the bottom if so desired.

Now the best thing about these charms is that you could take this basic concept and use it for many different occasions....Valentine's Day, St. Pats, 4th of July, Birthdays, Anniversary, etc.  The possibilities are endless!

2 comments:

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!