Thursday, May 31, 2012

Faux Rusty Metal Technique

Today I wanted to share a technique I shared quite a few years ago....

Faux Rusty Metal Technique

I thought it would be perfect for masculine projects but with the popularity of Steampunk I think it would be a great addition to those as well!

Supplies:

Metallic Paint
Greens, Browns, rusty colors of paint
Rough Textured Sand Paper

Instructions:

1. Dab the green paint onto the paper and smear it around with your finger working it into the sand paper.

Sandpaper & Dabbers003

It should look something like this.....

Sandpaper & Dabbers004

2. Continue by adding the desired metallic paint and finishing it off with a bit of brown paint here and there.  Rubbing each additional color into the sand paper as you did with the green.

Sandpaper & Dabbers006

Here is how the first example turned out....

Sandpaper & Dabbers007

And a few more using various colors of metallic & plain paints.

Sandpaper & Dabbers008

Now, what can you do with your faux rusty metal....

Check it out ~

Faux Rusty Metal001


Faux Rusty Metal002


Faux Rusty Metal003

This is a much lighter alternative to real rusty metal and it's also easier to attach to your cards and other projects.

ENJOY!!

8 comments:

  1. That's just cool! Thanks for sharing :)

    Lisa H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats great and so simple once you kow what to do. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I have embossed sandpaper in my cuttlebug but never thought about painting it. I will have to try this one. I love the way it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely L-O-V-E this technique and these cards, Roni!! But, you are forcing me to go out and buy some metallic paints!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great technique thanks for sharing. This is a super way of adding an embelishment to a man's Card.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow that is awesome. I love that first truck image. the uncolored one. I would love to know where that came from. that is gorgeous and all of your cards are very good. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Using sandpaper! How cool is that?! This I will be trying. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will totally be trying this out! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!