Thursday, February 10, 2011

Challenge Charm - Marbles turned into a Charm!!

O.k..I was so excited to see some of the items people suggested for charms.  Two of them sparked my interest right away because ideas popped into my head right away.  That's what I've got for you today but I wanted to let you know that I have ideas for a few other items people suggested so those are on their way ;)

Carolyn mentioned turning a marble into a charm....and here you go....

Last year after Christmas I bought an interesting looking tree garland that had nifty spiral wire "cages" that held beads in the center.  I KNEW they would be awesome charms if I found something I wanted to put inside the spiral.....  MARBLES!!!!!!   Now, I know there are jewelry spirals available out there at jewelry making sites but hey, this works and it was way cheaper ;)

(NOTE:  I didn't have any neat marbles so I used a plastic one.)

Check it out....

Marble Charm 1

I inserted the marble by gently pulling apart the spiral near the center.  The wire is very springy and opens easily but bounces back into place to hold the marble securely.  I then used a head pin with a small bead on it to make the hanger.  I inserted the head pin through the center hole at the top of the spiral cage and created the loop for the hanger.

Marble Charm 2

So there you go Carolyn...
a very quick and easy way to turn marbles into charms!


6 comments:

  1. These are cute Roni. Thanks for sharing.

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brillant Roni thank you so much - I really love this charm. I think I can make a spiral like this out of wire as I don't have any of this type of garland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you want to make your own wire cage, just make a two flat spirals from one piece of wire (spiral each end), place the marble or bead on one and gently open them out around it, fiddling till you get it into shape. I saw this somewhere and although my brain remembers how to do it it won't tell me where I saw it! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!