Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Postcard Art #3 - The Vintage Vacation Words!

I am sooooo excited about today's technique for incorporating postcards into your every day art work. It is one of my absolute favorite vintage looks...Vintage Vacation Words! Now I'm not sure if you know what I mean but I'm sure you're familiar with the look.

This is what I'm talking about....States or Destinations where each letter of the word has a small image printed on it. This example is for the Catskill Mts. in NY but there are all sorts of them out there.

20090705001

Anyway, that's what we're going to be doing only we're not going to just stick to vacation destinations! You can give virtually any name or word this fun look.

Postcard Art #3

Vintage Vacation Words

Postcard Art 3 001

Supplies:

Printed Postcard images (on cardstock or copy paper)

Chipboard letters (chunky letters work best)

Quick Tacky Glue - Aleene's (LOVE this glue!!)

Brayer (optional)

Scissors

Distress Inks

Ink Blending Tool

Instructions:

1. Print desired images onto cardstock or copy paper. Either work well for this technique. You will need to be sure you size your images to the proper size for your letters. I hand cut my letters roughly 3" square so that's the size I printed my images off as.

2. Determine which letter works best with each image. By doing so you can be sure you won't be trimming off the important parts of each image.

Postcard Art 3 003

3. Cover the entire front side of the chipboard letter with a thick tacky glue. I like to use Aleene's Quick Thick Tacky glue for this type of technique. The glue stays put and you don't end up with lots of adhesive smooshing out around the edges. Makes the whole process much neater.

Postcard Art 3 004

4. Place the glued chipboard letter face down on the back side of the image. When you're satisfied with the placement, burnish with the brayer to ensure good contact on all edges.

Postcard Art 3 005

5. Once dry, trim off excess edges. Sand any ragged edges if necessary.

Postcard Art 3 007

6. Apply desired color of Distress Ink using the Ink Blending Tool & Foam. I like to use a combination of Vintage Photo and Walnut Stain (VP first then WS to darken the edges) but you can use whatever you like.

Postcard Art 3 010

And here is what it looks like....

Postcard Art 3 012

"FUN" huh????

(lol...sorry, couldn't resist!!!)

Postcard Art 3 014

Isn't this a great technique...you could create personalized gifts,

use them on scrapbook pages or add them to album covers!!

I know I've said it before but seriously,

the sky's the limit...the possibilities are endless!

Today I've added a supply of chipboard letters

and

the "FUN" word from the example

to the Postcard Art goodie bag!

Remember anyone who posts on any of the

"Postcard Art" techniques

will be entered to win...

Drawing to be held 9-20!!

13 comments:

  1. Love ♥ Love this ... another great idea for those fun vintage postcards I have in my stash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be trying this technique for sure Roni thankyou so much for showing me.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man this is too cool for words! Love the idea! Way cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! Love those vintage postcards, thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this technique! I'll definitely use it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was lucky enough to find my way to your blog and just love all your craft projects & ideas. I look forward to following it and see what crafty creations you come up with next. Thanks for sharing.
    I hope you check out my blog as well at http://archiving-angel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous technique! I love it. Thank you for all your sharing, it is a great creative jumpstart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my Gosh!!!
    This is great!!!
    Where do you find the time????
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  9. AWK!! Love this! This is something I really need to try! So simple, but so FUN! (yeah, I couldn't resist either!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Howdy,

    I do a lot of vinatge/heritage scrapbooking ewvery year before our family reunion.

    This technique is perfect for my 'title' pages! Gonna try it soon.

    Peace,
    LuLu
    www.lulu-too-beaucoup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!