Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Leafing Flakes - All Over Effect

Hey Everyone!

I hope you all had a wonderful St. Pattie's Day :) It was totally amazing here in Indiana yesterday ~ first off it was sunny and 74 degrees!!!! That is unheard of for this time of year but oh so very welcome!

We also had another big "happening" here yesterday as well ~ actually, it was the reason I didn't post this final installment about the leafing flakes. My *baby* took the test and got his drivers learning permit!!!!!!!!!!! OMG ~ I sprout about 10 new gray hairs ;) Seriously, he's a really good driver...yes, he's a farm boy and has actually been driving for about a year now following tractors and such ~ shhhhh! So we celebrated last night :)

Now, normally the boys get/got their practice driving with their dad but I think I'm going to let him drive us to tutoring tonite...wish me luck - LOL!!!

I've had several questions about the Sepp Leafing flakes so I thought I'd share it here with everyone.

How big is the neat box they come in?

Each box is 4 1/2" x 3" x 1 1/2" it holds 5 grams which I know doesn't sound like much but these flakes are lighter than a feather. You can't even feel them in your hand they are so light.

How far do they (the leafing flakes) go/last?

Well, I tell you ~ I have used the same 4 boxes on all of the examples I've made for the blog as well as on several projects in the book. Two of the boxes don't even look like any has been used, one box has about a 1/4" space from the top and the other (my favorite mix) is about 1/2" down from the top! They last a looonnnnnngggggg time!

How much do they cost?

Well it looks like anywhere from 11.00 - 17.00 a box depending on the mix and where you buy them. I know that sounds a bit expensive but when you look at how most of the other leafing flakes sell for 8-10.00 for 1 gram it's a huge savings.

Here are a couple of places I've found that carry them on line....

Artist & Craftsman Supply the flakes are actually on sale right now!

Guilded Planet

I hope these help :)

And on to the All over Effect....

I tell you I love this stuff so much I decided to cover and entire sheet of paper with it. I thought it would be fun to make some die-cuts from this paper and oh my...they turned out awesome!!

These were cut using a Sizzix die but I'm sure most would work since the flakes add virtually no height/bulk to the surface of the paper.

leafing all over 1

I also wanted to show you what it looked like if you wanted to stamp on the leafed paper. I used the same stamp on all of the examples. I thought it was a nice choice because there are solid areas (flower heads) and delicate areas (stems) to show how the flakes take to various mediums.

I did want to mention that if you do stamp on an all-over leafing you will want to burnish the flakes. I know I know ~ I said I didn't burnish - normally I don't. If I'm using the leafing as an accent or with other techniques I don't burnish. I like the lumpy bumpy look. For the stamping though you really need to. It gives you a smooth surface and it also ensures that all of the flakes stay put.

The first example was stamped using Archival Ink. Depending on what angle you look at it the ink almost disappears but turn it a bit and it's very clear.

Leafing - all over005

I used Adirondack Acrylic Dabber to stamp on this example - it's much more visible but since it's acrylic paint it's not as finely defined as the ink.

Leafing - all over002

NOW, this is my favorite example...I stamped it using Adirondack Pigment Ink and added Black Embossing Powder. Just look at how stunning the deep rich black is on the leafing! It's simply beautiful.

Leafing - all over006

So there you have it...all over leafing die-cut and stamped!

Just gotta love those flakes :)

Tomorrow we'll start fresh with something new... I haven't decided exactly what yet but hope you stop in and check it out.

Hope you have a wonderful evening!!

3 comments:

  1. Very, very cool!

    What adhesive did you chose for the all over cs?

    And on a different topic, I am curious about what other techniques, tutorials and products you are planning on covering at some point or another here on Ink Stains. When we all posted our ideas for what we wanted to see awhile back, did you gather all of that info and make kind of a plan? Are there some "for sure" topics? No worries... just curious, that's all.

    Thanks for all you do on here, Roni. I love how you cover a topic in depth by posting several tuts and projects over the course of a week. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I just had to come back and add something outrageous! I just went to the Artist and Craftman site and clicked on a box of the leaf flakes. They are 25% off right now and $13 seemed like a good deal. But get this - I entered my zip code and the lowest shipping price is $13.70! And it goes up from there - $19.54, $23.64 or $47.83! What the...?!? That is just plain CRAZY!

    Not a reflection on you Roni, just sharing how absurd that is. Gas is expensive, I know, but is a guy from their warehouse going to hop in his car and DRIVE it all the way to my place? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. The embossed stamp is looking great on this background.
    Margriet

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!