Monday, August 25, 2008

Tri-omino Charms

Recently I won an auction on Ebay for a full set of Tri-Ominos...I was so excited because I was sure I could have some great fun with them! I was right! These little buggers are the perfect size to make charms for everything from key chains, necklaces, bracelets, and more! You could also stick them on cards, scrapbook pages and even ATC's if you don't mind it being a bit lumpy. All that fun for only 5.00!! I'm sure if you found a set/game at a garage sale it would be even cheaper....I never seem to get that lucky though so until I do I'll have to stick with Ebay.

On to the charms...

You'll find that because Tri-ominos are made out of a softer plastic they will be MUCH easier to drill a hole in than dominoes are. The only difference is you'll have to drill 2 holes, one facing each other on 2 sides. It only takes one or two to get the hang of it so it's not a big obstacle. I had 5 Tri-Ominos drilled (10 holes) in about a minute and a half.

triomino charms001

Supplies:

Tri-Ominoes

Alcohol Inks - Ranger

Metallic Mixatives - Ranger

Beadazzle Beads - Ranger

Glossy Accents - Ranger

Collage Sheets - Hannah Grey, Queen's Dresser Drawers - Hannah Grey

Tim Holtz Idea-Ology Hardware

Instructions:

1. Apply desired color of Adirondack Alcohol Inks to your Ink Applicator & Felt. For the first example I used Wild Plum, Stream, Lettuce and Gold Metallic Mixative.

triomino charms004

2. Ink all sides and the back of the Tri-Omino. You will also want to ink the small lip on what will be the front side of the charm (originally the hollow back of the game piece).

triomino charms005

3. Trace around a Tri-Omino and cut collage image to fit.

triomino charms002

4. Your image so fit snuggly into the Tri-Omino but it doesn't have to be perfect. You can always add micro beads to hide any imperfections.

triomino charms003

5. Add any extra embellishments you would like in your mini collage at this time then fill the Tri-Omino with Glossy Accents.

triomino charms007

6. If desired, sprinkle on micro beads or Beadazzles in the corners.

triomino charms008

7. Set aside to dry. Depending on how thick your GA layer is and the humidity it could take several hours to dry clear.

triomino charms009

NOW your charms are ready to use! These are 3 of the charms I made today. The charm in the lower left has dried flowers behind the collage image. The "Friends" charm was made using Sepia Accents instead of Glossy Accents.

triomino charms014

Here are the finished charms in use....

triomino charms021

triomino charms022

triomino charms023

Now, just think of the possibilities ~ you wouldn't need to use collage sheets...maybe instead you might choose to use a stamped image, vintage postage stamp, bit of an old map, a dictionary definition, index photo, etc.
Use your imagination and have fun with it!
I guarantee once you start you'll be hard pressed to stop!
Those little buggers are soooooo addictive - LOL!!
Here's to old game pieces!!

8 comments:

  1. I visit your site every few days since I found it and am amazed with all the ideas you come up with. I bought some dominos to try out some of your ideas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! I've never heard of triominos, but I will now be on a mission to find some. Thanks for writing this up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute idea. Question for you. Sorry, I always seem to have a question. When you apply the Glossy accent, do you apply just up to the holes you drilled?
    Speaking of games found at thrift stores, having fun with a Scrabble game, cool letter tiles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone :) Glad you like!

    Tami - You don't have to be sorry :) Always happy to answer questions when I know the answer - LOL!!

    I fill it completely up and I don't worry about the hole. Normally the GA is soft enough just to push the jump ring through. If you need to get something larger like ball chain or fibers through the hole I ream it out with the drill. Quick and easy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Genius! Absolute genius. Thank you so much for your inspiring ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never heard of Triominos so I was very intrigued! Those are super, and a great way to use them. I'm inspired to pull out my Beadazzles and play a little!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you just hear my jaw drop to the floor? What a great idea, once again another fantastic job. So effective. Jaqi

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!