Friday, August 8, 2008

Acrylic Dabber Box

I know I promised to share a new 4 for 1 today BUT we picked about 2 bushels of green beans and 3 bushels of tomatoes last night....sooooo today I put up 19 bags of green beans and tried my hand at making spaghetti sauce. I don't think I'll be doing that again! I worked for HOURS cleaning, juicing and boiling that stuff and ended up with such a small amount of sauce (actually, last batch is still cooking) that it's a bit disheartening.

Anyway, I am going to share a box I recently made for a friends birthday :) We both love leaves so I thought it would be fun to incorporate some skeleton leaves into the design. I loved how it turned out and will be making one for myself when I have a chance to get another paper mache box - LOL!!!

Dabbers 1207 008

Supplies:

Paper Mache Box - Jo Anns
Adirondack Acrylic Dabbers - Bottle, Clover, Juniper, Pitch Black - Ranger
Ink Blending Tool & Foam - Ranger
Memory Frames - Ranger
Glossy Accents - Ranger
Sepia Accents - Ranger
Heidi Swapp Leaf Stencil - Heidi Swapp
Chipboard

Instructions:

1. Apply dots of all 3 coordinating paints to one side of the box. I like to use a 1, 2, 3 ratio - 1 dot of the darkest, 2 dots of medium and 3 dots of the lightest color in the trio. It seems to work out better that way and I don't usually have to add any additional paints.

2. Using the Ink Blending Tool & Foam blend paints until desired effect is achieved. Try using various strokes with your blending tool...swirls, swishes, etc. If you feel you have too much of one color, feel free to dab on more of one of the other 2 colors.

Remember, there is no right and wrong to this step....HAVE FUN!!!

3. Repeat steps 1 & 2 over the other 3 sides. Let dry.

4. Paint box lid using Pitch Black. Set aside to dry.

5. Paint both pieces of chipboard with Bottle Acrylic Dabber. Let dry.

6. Take the smaller of the 2 pieces of chipboard and layer stencils over the entire piece.

7. Dab on Juniper Acrylic Paint over the entire piece of chipboard. Remove Stencils & clean (if desired). Let dry.

8. To make the leaf/Memory Frames cut a scrap piece of chipboard so it fits into the Memory Frame. Paint with Juniper Dabber & insert into frame and close latch back up.

9. Place skeleton leaf into frame, cover with Glossy or Sepia Accents. Let dry. (Note, this will take a long time - you might want to do this the day before.

10. Once the Memory Frames have dried, mount onto leaf chipboard. Adhere this piece with double sided foam tape onto 2nd piece of chipboard. Then mount onto box lid.

View of lid....

Dabbers 1207 006

Side view.....

Dabbers 1207 007

I promise to post the 4 for 1 & new sketch soon...Not sure but I think we may be doing more corn tomorrow... Dh said it was ready....again!!!!!! Anyway, if I don't get to it tomorrow I'll post it on Monday.

Remember you only have one more day to tell me your favorite Alluring Impressions set of stamps and enter to win!

3 comments:

  1. Oh I just love skeleton leaves and that box is gorgeous. What a cool effect with the stenciled leaves and the skeletons. Great colors too...some of my favorites.
    And sorry about the spaghetti sauce, now you have more of a sense of what it takes to make the variety in jars!! Funny how you have to boil down so much produce to make a sauce. It's all that evaporation that has to take place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, checked out the Alluring site. Love the Carte de Paris and can hardly wait to get it.
    Thank you for all the sharing and exposure you put out for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't know if it's too late but I really think the stamps pin me up under people section is a really good set of stamps. whoever wins I think they should share with all what they make with it. Might learn new technique or just be inspired.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!