Saturday, June 7, 2008

Painting with Alcohol Inks & Matte Cardstock

Recently I saw a discussion on a popular stamping board about Copic Markers vs. Alcohol Inks. The person who posted wondered if she could just use her AI's instead of these markers to color her images in. (Apparently these markers range from $4.99-6.00 EACH!!!)

I had heard the term Copic Markers before but never really thought much about them until I read this question. The ink in these markers is alcohol based and quick drying...basically alcohol ink in a pen barrel. I'm sure they are wonderful pens so please don't take this the wrong way. What struck me was one of the responses. It said something to the effect that, yes - you could paint with AI's but it was very difficult, you could only do it on glossy surfaces, you can't blend AI's because they dry too fast and you couldn't use them on regular cardstock!

WELL, not one to turn down a challenge like that ;) I promptly pulled out my AI's and my scrap basket! Here is what I came up with....

Note - all of these examples were stamped using Archival Ink - Jet Black, Ranger Adirondack Alcohol Inks unless noted and a waterbrush filled with Ink Blending Solution.

This first image is stamped Bazzill Cardstock ~ we all know what a pain that stuff is to stamp on so I figured I'd start with the worst first. I used a dark piece of cardstock just to see if the inks would show up. On the left side I used Wild Plum & Butterscotch (which didn't show up well at all). On the right I just used whatever was on my butter dish lid...quite an assortment and they DID blend well.

Alcohol Ink Matte paper 005


Next I used a piece of DCWV cardstock - lighter color, easier to see the inks. You can also see how well the colors blended together. Left side I used Raisin, Wild Plum & Butterscotch, Right side was just Wild Plum & Butterscotch. I blended the right side much more than the left by layering the Wild Plum a bit at a time.

Alcohol Ink Matte paper 002


The next piece is the back side of a piece of pattern paper. I'm thinking it was MME - whatever their Market line is. The longer I went the better I liked this!! Blending becomes easier the more you play. This example used Yellow (Pinata AI), Raisin, Wild Plum to blend the wings.

Alcohol Ink Matte paper 004


The next two examples were made using Georgia-Pacific Plain 110lb White Cardstock...I use this to stamp on most of the time. It is cheap, readily found virtually everywhere and has a nice smooth surface which makes stamping a breeze. I also use it to make my card bases cause I make various sizes of cards.

The first I blended Stonewashed & Denim for the background sky. Looks pretty wicked out there...a storms brewing - LOL!! Red is Cranberry & Red (Pinata) and then Bottle for the little green line. I used Latte & Caramel to give the girl a nice tan ;)

Alcohol Ink Matte paper 001


This last example is my favorite!! This pear is a combination of Butterscotch, Latte, Lettuce, Pesto, Caramel for the stem and just a touch of cranberry on the pear (because I hit that AI in my butter lid by mistake - lol!!).

Alcohol Ink Matte paper 003


Now, someone tell me you can't blend AI's! I don't think so.... It didn't take long either. I spent probably 15 - 20 minutes making all of these examples. So, I think I'm going to pass on the $5-6.00 markers and keep my AI's thank you very much!

15 comments:

  1. Wow - that pear is amazing! Is there anything that you can't do woman?? I was at a rubber stamp show today and they had those Copic markers for $4.95 each - and that was the "show special pricing". I thought that the company must be pretty proud of their products LOL =) Thanks for another great technique!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic experiment you have done. I have quite a few AI's and would never have thought of doing this. A friend of mine has lots of copic markers and I was tempted to buy some, but after reading this I'll save my money - or buy some more AI's instead.

    I must say I love visiting your blog as you have some awesome things here and lots of advice/tips - so thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I just love that you try everything out for us...so we don't have to do the experimenting ourselves! I'm one of those people who always likes to be the LAST to do something..not the first!
    I have wondering exactly that about the alcohol inks...can they be used on plain, non-glossy paper! You've answered that with a bang!! Love the pear!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, that Faultless bathing beauty ties with the pear as my favorite. Love the skin tones you got blending the colors. I guess I need to go buy another set of colors of alcohol inks....I'm needing the stonewashed...and the latte now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man... I gotta tell a story here. So, I heard the buzz on Copic markers, too, and when I read that they were alcohol ink, well, I did get a set (I got 26 makers for $84 - and that was a DEAL! Usually would be over $100 - very expensive!). So then I get them and try to work with them thinking they were like the Ranger AIs but in a pen, you know? Guess what? They're NOT. They are more like Marvy MARKERS!

    So then I did a bunch MORE reading and went to a bunch of blogs that tried them against the Marvy markers and guess what? The consensus at multiple blogs was - save your $ and just stick with the Marvy markers.

    See, Copic is trying to break into the craft market so that's where the buzz is coming from. These are really artist markers for people who do illustration and comic books.

    About a month ago I was browsing in my local art store and a woman came in to buy markers. She asked the clerk about the Copics and he said some things but really didn't answer her question very well. (I was looking at Gel pens and listening in LOL). So after he left, I said... psssst... and told her the same story I just said here. She thanked my profusely and decided to save her $, too!

    LOL - well, that turned into a very expensive lesson so I am glad I can share it here, too!

    ~phinny

    P.S. I still haven't figured out what to do with my 26 Copic markers. Anyone want a deal...?!? (j/k)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just did some research to see what the skinny was on the Copic markers (which I hadn't heard of) and see that they are alcohol bases, but then so are Prisma Markers, Sharpies (!) and almost all other permanent markers!
    I know that I have been coloring my stamped images on glossy paper with plain water based markers...and getting a great result. Sounds like the alcohol based markers are different only on regular paper...where you might get some paper shredding as you add more color..due to water based dyes making the paper too wet. Obviously, alcohol inks CAN be used just like the COPIC markers.. same ink, same effects!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah - maybe it was Prisma markers, Karen. Whatever the standard for stamping and scrap is. The skinny is they are the same as markers, NOT the same as Ranger's alcohol inks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks guys!! Glad I could help ~ you know me...don't tell me I CAN'T do something ~ I'll do it just to show it can be done - LOL!!

    Oh Phinny, total bummer about your markers!!! Maybe you'll be able to find someone to buy them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love, love, love trying out new things but sorting out what is just marketing hype versus something truly new is a real challenge. Many thanks Roni for exploring this one! I love your samples!!

    I have one related question—Tim H indicated that we need to keep separate aquabrushes-one for the blending solution and another for water. He explained the 2 don’t mix and will break down the plastic into a gummy mess. Now I didn’t experience that when I switch back ‘n forth when using the blending solution but perhaps it was because I had used all the blending solution before switching. Has anyone experienced this issue?

    Phinney-I bet you can sell them for your sale purchase price. If you decide to learn about copics the educator for the pens has started a blog to share her tips…http://ilikemarkers.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. gee thanks for this so nice tip!!! cant wait to try those AI on the matte cs... oh, how can i apply those inks to the paper by the way? any special apparatus or tool to apply them or just plain brush? thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Far North ~ You're welcome :) Sorry I can't help you with the seperation issue ~ I keep seperate waterburshes for the Ink Blending Solution/Water.

    Cabbie - I use a waterbrush filled with Ink Blending Solution. I did it basically the same way I made this ATC card - http://inkstainswithroni.blogspot.com/2008/05/painting-with-alcohol-inks.html
    Fill your waterbrush with Ink Blending Solution and pick up your Alcohol Inks off of your pallete and paint. You will be using more ink and IBS than you do if you are painting on Glossy Surfaces because it tends to sink in but it's still very do-able!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. They all look great, though the pear is my favorite.

    I have both alcohol inks and Copic markers but use them for different things.


    I had never tried to use the alcohol inks on non-glossy surfaces, so it's interesting to see your results. I most definitely will be trying this out.

    *I'd be very interested in a comparison between Ranger & Piñata inks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been a "stalker" of your blog for quite a while and I really admire your work.

    I know the thread you are referring to... in fact I believe you are paraphrasing my post about not being able to blend AI's like you can Copics.

    I respect your experiment and results. I also stand by my original statement... maybe with this ammendment... I don't believe you can achieve the same SEAMLESS blending with AI's on matte cardstock that is possible with Copic markers. Your examples are beautiful and I do see that you were able to blend your colors quite nicely. (I was not as successful in any of my attempts on matte cardstock... what is your secret?)

    I guess the big thrill with Copics is that they can blend colors seamlessly... with no "dry lines" or hard lines what ever you would refer to where the two colors meet and overlap.

    I to like to try new things and experiment with my products. I have both the Copic markers and the Ranger's AIs... and I love them both!

    BUT... I can't get the exact same results from the two of them...no matter how hard I try. I can get better blending results on glossy cardstock or non-porus surfaces with the Ai's, but I have never been able to get seamless blending with AIs on regular cardstock like I can with my Copics (doesn't mean one is better than the other).

    I know you are very loyal to Ranger... and I admire that... they have awesome products...

    I just feel badly that you took my post as a negative against AI's... the original post was someone questioning Copic markers and whether they could get the same effect simply with alcohol inks.

    And while I do think your blending and shading and coloring with AI's is beautiful, I stand by my original statement that it isn't the same (not better or worse) as what you would get with the Copic markers.

    Basically, I am rambling on to try to say that they are very different products... both with great qualities.

    I hope I don't offend you with my post here... that is not my intent... I really just want to express what my original post on SCS was stating and thank you for your experiment.

    I hope to see more of your work with ALL of Ranger's products.

    HUGS

    Oh and Phinny...maybe you could put your Copics up for sale on your blog??? I know there are a lot of people who would be interested in them. (I think it is wonderful that we all have our likes and dislikes...makes for a much more interesting and creative community!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oay... after that whole long post... I went back to see if I could amend my post at SCS... and I realized that maybe you weren't talking about my response... after all... I did say that AI's COULD be used... it was difficult and took lots of practice and patience... but that the look woudn't be the same as with Copics.


    Sorry... it must have been a differnt thread! :) Pardon my rambling babbles!

    I think I better log out and go create something!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for such a fabulously detailed experiment! I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!