Friday, June 6, 2008

4 for 1 - Tiny Stamps

The 4 for 1 today is an answer to a request. Karen has asked what to do with those little bitty stamps that can be found in larger sets. Sometimes they have a specific use with the set but other times they are just little critters stuck in to fill space.

Here is the stamp I'm using today. The block is 1" square so the stamp is approximately 1/2"x 1/4".

4 for 1 - 6-6-08001

My first suggestion would be to use it to create a custom background! Here I have stamped our little stamp in 3 different colors of Adirondack Pigment Ink (Denim, Sail Boat Blue & Cloudy Blue) on glossy cardstock. I then added some Broken China Distress Ink using my Ink Blending Tool.

4 for 1 - 6-6-08004

Next, I used the little bitty to create a frame on another ATC. To do so I placed the image on my ATC card, made little marks at each corner so I knew approximately where my frame needed to be. Removed the image and stamped my frame following the guide dots. I made sure that I stamped on the dots so they were no longer visible but you could erase them after the ink has dried if you didn't cover them up. I added some Cinnamon Stickles for a bit of pizazz!

4 for 1 - 6-6-08003

O.k... I know what you're thinking...I don't want to just use them on ATC's...well no fear, here you go ~

My 3rd go at the stamp I made a card....I used the little stamp to create a border strip for the center of my card. I simply stamped it repeatedly making sure that the sides touched each time. This is actually a twofer because I also used the stamp to highlight the sentiment at the bottom!

4 for 1 - 6-6-08002

#4 is another card that I created flowers & leaves with the cute little bugger. I stamped around an invisible spot (or you can make a dot on the paper to aim for). To make a nice full flower using this stamp I needed to stamp it 6 times. You may want to make a practice flower on scrap to determine how many times you prefer. You could go with a 3 petal flower, 4, 5, etc. You may even want to stamp a few "petals" in one color and go back & fill in with a different color. It's totally up to you!! I also added a few "leaves" by simply changing the color of my ink.

4 for 1 - 6-6-08005

Now it's your turn!!

Find one of those tiny little stamps that you've never given much thought of using and put it to work! Try your hand at one of these ideas or come up with something of your own. If you do and would like to share it be sure to post a link in the comments section or send a copy of it to me. I'll post it in the blog to share with everyone :)

On to the preview of our second Ink Stained Sketch....

Next week I will be working with Monograms...these can be chipboard, paper, stamped, inked, painted, whatever your heart desires. The first arrow is pointing to the background...this could be stamped, pattern paper, etc. There is also a little spot for a sentiment, journaling or even just a signature. Next Friday I'll post several different examples using this sketch :)

Ink Stained Sketch #2

Be sure to tune in tomorrow when I announce the lucky winner of the Tim Holtz Goodie Box!!

Till then...Inky Trails!!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for some great ideas for putting those itsy bitsy stamps to good use. I work weekends, but will have a try with mine on my days off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thanks so much Roni for addressing those little tiny stamps! I just love the flower and leaves motif that you made out of that teeny swirl stamp! It looks amazing! I'll have to look through my stamps and try my hand at giving some purpose to those small stamps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good ideas! I have a cute little seashell that I almost put in the about.com stamp swap box, but decided to keep because I really liked it (even though I didn't know where I'd ever use it). Now I know!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, Karen, that one is my favorite, too!

    Maybe we should call this feature, "think outside the stamp!" LOL Well, not quite. But you get the idea.

    I already have an idea for the sketch. Guess what I found today? I got the Tim Holtz idea-ology line "Adage Tickets." These are super cool - they look like tickets you'd get at a county fair or something, but they have a word like "wish" or "story" - 96 of them, too! So I think I will use one of these new tickets for the lower right corner sentiment.

    Well done, Roni. Thanks for the ideas and inspiration!

    ~phinny

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you all like :) I've got some other tiny stamps I'm going to be using in the future so hopefully we can put all those little buggers to use!

    Phinny - you lucky dog...those are way cool goodies to get a hold of!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!