Sunday, May 4, 2008

Bunny Prayers...

I feel so silly for posting this but I'm just heart-broken right now...

I hadn't mentioned anything but earlier this past week (wed.) our basset hound dug up a rabbit den that was hidden in one of my flower beds. He had killed 2 of the 3 babies in it and would have killed the third if I had left it out there. It looked like Cecil's (the dog) nail scraped it's nose so it was messed up...one side of it was pretty damaged and I'm not sure how much it could breath out of the other side.

Dh told me to just set it outside the fence...there was nothing that could be done for it. (It was really young - only a day or so old) So I did...for about 5 hours. I just couldn't stand the thought of that little rabbit sitting out there freezing (temps in the 30's that night). So I brought it in, fed it and made a nice little box for it.

It's been doing pretty well...I was putting meds on his nose and it was eating, going potty, etc. I *thought* (actually hoping and praying it would) it might beat the odds. Well, I noticed he was having trouble breathing and he was pretty cool so decided to hold him (he liked to be held...he'd snuggle in my hair). His breathing was very labored and after about an hour or so he died....Some of you know how much I love animals and will mother any living critter that crosses my path. It's so very hard on me when something like this happens.

I know a lot of people don't think that animals go to heaven but I do...so if you could say a few prayers for my bunny friend I'd appreciate it.

9 comments:

  1. My heart goes out to you...
    A sad day, indeed....

    Poor little bunnies...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! Bless your heart for trying to save the little guy. Your kindness just made my heart grow a little bigger. I'll keep your little bunny in my thoughts.

    xo,

    Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I KNOW they do, Roni, and my prayers are sent.

    (I am such a tender-hearted animal lover that I couldn't even read this post past the first line.)

    Love and support to you and prayers to our animal friends.

    ~phinny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone...we buried the little one in our pet cemetary. He's surrounded by our other loved ones who have passed!

    Phinny - trust me when I say I was crying the whole time I was writing the post...but it did help to get it out.

    Eric told me he'd get me another bunny to love but I declined...just wouldn't be the same. KWIM?

    Anyway, thanks guys ~ I really appreciate it!

    ((((((HUGS)))))))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I fully believe in animals, especially pets, having souls -- the Rainbow Bridge is one of the hardest and most loved poems that I know...

    prayers to you for trying!

    Allison
    Dunlap TN

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Roni!! I am so sorry you had to go through this. I know how you feel. Our cats have brought home baby bunnies before and I am sorry to say they hardly live through the trauma. I know how sad it is. I hope you're feeling better soon.
    ((((((((((HUGS))))))))))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no, I know how you feel. I'm also a big time animal lover and I've managed to pull two baby rabbits through to adulthood (one of them is still alive after 11 years). but it's always iffy when you try to give the baby what his mother needed to. And with an injury it's even tougher. But you gave it your best and gave him a chance. We forget how cruel nature can be sometimes and it hurts when we have to see it up close. Big hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thats so sad...my prayers will be with him =1. Bless you soul for trying to save him though. My pet rabbit died this afternoon. He was 3 years old and the sweetest rabbit in the world.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!