Thursday, April 10, 2008

Ink Blending Tool # 9 - Distressed Stamping

Well we've almost finished my Top Ten Ink Blending Tool Techniques!! Today I wanted to show you number 9 on the list - Distressed Stamping! This is another way cool and very easy technique. It's very versatile as you can use any of your rubber (or clear) stamps and limit-less color combinations!


Supplies:

Dabber Acrylic Paints - Ranger
Distress or Adirondack Dye Inks - Ranger
Ink Blending Tool & Foams
Rubber Stamps
Cardstock
Heat Tool (optional)
Water & cloth
Rubber Stamp Cleaner

Instructions:

1. Prime all of your paints you will be adding to your rubber stamps. This is a very important step as these paints dry very quickly!! You won't have much time in between applying the paint to your stamp and stamping.

2. Apply the acrylic paint(s) to your rubber stamp. Remember, work quickly!!

3. Stamp image onto your cardstock panel.


4. IMMEDIATELY wash all of the acrylic paint off of your stamp(s). This is a very important step. You don't want the paint to dry on your stamp...trust me, I have learned this the hard way....once the paint has dried to your stamp you'll have a VERY difficult time trying to remove it.

I like to keep an old toothbrush around when cleaning the paint off my stamps. It really helps by getting into all of the tiny crevices stamps tend to have.


5. (optional) - for this ATC I added a few quick strokes of paint along the bottom edge to create a bit of grass. Though you may not be stamping this exact card now is the time to add any additional acrylic paint images you want onto your finished project.

LET THE PAINT DRY COMPLETELY!!!! - This is VERY important. If your paint isn't dry and you try to add the ink it will smear the acrylic stamped images and make a total mess. Yes, I have learned this lesson the hard way as well - LOL!! I always like to give it a quick shot with my heat gun to speed dry time.

6. Apply desired ink(s) using the Ink Blending Tool & Foam in the normal mannor.

For this card I used Distress Inks. I added Peeled Paint to the grass area, Worn Lipstick to the flowers and Broken China over the remaining areas.

When you have covered your card in ink, take a damp cloth and gently wipe away excess ink from the card. (Remember, acrylic paint will resist the inks so if you don't remove them they WILL rub off - either onto the existing card or other items they come in contact with!)

You're done! Time to finish off the card and enjoy :)
Cherish ATC


Here are some additional examples of this technique in action!!
All ink & paints are Ranger, rubber stamps are listed with each card.

Just For You - Mono Orange
Large Flower - Hero Arts; Small flower & butterfly - Autumn Leaves;
Sentiment - Fiskars

Happy Birthday - Blue Mono.
Weed - Stampers Anonymous; Sentiment - Fiskars



Pink Weeds

Weed - Stampers Anonymous; Main Image - Stampington & Co.


The Bird
Flourish - Fancy Pants; Rub-On - Basic Grey Holy Cow


Surprise

Giant Flower - Magenta; Small Flowers - Autumn Leaves;
Sentiment - Fiskars

9 down, one more to go!
Tomorrow I will share the final in my IBT Top Ten - Blended Pearls!
This technique uses a little known product that Ranger offers - Adirondack Dimensional Pearls. If you've never seen these in person you will definately want to find a bottle just to see how beautiful they are for yourself. They of course match their sister products in the Adirondack line but have an added shimmer that is just unbeatable. You're gonna love this paint!!

Till then...have an inky day :)

8 comments:

  1. Ah... you did it again, Roni! Another one of my very favorite things to do - stamp with acrylic paint. And how cool is that - that the acrylic paint acts as a resist? Adding the ink blending just takes it up to the next level for me, so thank you. I love it!

    ~phinny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say I think that this one is my favorite one..so far!!
    I'll be sad when you finish up the last technique tomorrow. :(
    But can't wait to see what you've got planned for us next!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh, Roni, I love the pink weeds and the yellow card and the just for you--you can create gorgeous effects!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks so much for sharing all these techniques with the IBT. can't wait to see the one with the dimensional pearls!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Roni for yet another great technique. Your example cards are lovely and I especially like the pink one - it's so pretty

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and comments!